19 July 2008

Staying Positive

I love this country.

I have been sick and injured for the past two weeks, solid. Pre-Service Training (PST) is stressing me out, as usual. I'm hungry, thirsty, and extremely tired. And yet, as I walked home from where the routiera dropped me off, I noticed me shadow stretched out in front of me.

I have tended to be a poet, in the past. Perhaps this is a continuing trend. In any case, I could not help but think, as I observed my casually elongated profile pacing the ground before me, that Moldova (or perhaps someOne) was trying to tell me something. For me, a poet, shadows usually symbolize memories and the past; but here, in the rural landscape of a Moldovan sunset, my shadow crosses the ground ahead of me -- the future, quite literally.

The decision to join the ranks of Peace Corps volunteers and wander off into the developing world was not an easy one, though perhaps too many of us realize this simple fact only after weeks have passed without State-side-quality sanitation, infrastructure, communication, and so forth. I joined because "it felt like the right time," and I still hold to this. But I admit, now, that I had no idea what that really meant, and means still. It means that I am in a completely different place, no matter how similar the climate, the wine, or the people. It means that I am apart from my friends and family, without whom I would have been abysmally without hope, long ago. It means that I can't go see Sigur Ros in concert, when they pass through Portland in October. It means that more responsibility and more expectations rest on my shoulders than ever before. And it means that every day is a challenge.

But seeing that shadow walking in front of me caused me to pause, and to think, and to look around. Moldova is an amazing country, and I consider myself entirely lucky to be here.

For a long time, I have wanted to live on a vineyard. Today, as I looked out over rolling hills covered with grape vines, it occurred to me that I have realized this dream, simply by living within the borders of the remarkable vineyard known as Moldova. Of course, Moldova is so much more than its wine, but this thought brightened my day. It made the particular challenges of the past two weeks seem worth the sweat.

8 comments:

Deborah said...

i think it is also telling that you described your shadow as STRETCHED out before you - suggesting the future and also the GROWTH your experiences are providing. is there anything you would be doing this summer in Portland that would be causing you to expand and contribute as much as this time in Moldova? enjoy. you deserve to live in vineyards. i have always believed so because i have always believed in you...

Unknown said...

I can't begin to imagine the challenges you face, as well as the intense homesickness that must be setting in an refusing to leave.

The Pacific Northwest will be the same in two summers as it is right now, Sigur Ros will go on tour again (or you can visit Iceland to see them), and your friends and family still care and love you deeply. Hang in there, Wandering Jeff. You are doing great things and breaking trail into a life you always talked about and are finally making happen.

Jeff Zundel said...

I definitely miss Portland, but Moldova is wonderful. The things I would be accomplishing in Portland this Summer are the sort of things that I can work on when I get back. Most importantly, though, I miss participating (in an immediate way) with my friends and family.

Luckily, several of those closest to me have been in fairly regular contact, and those who haven't have probably had their reasons. I think it's natural to miss home, though.

Deborah said...

hey - if you weren't a little homesick, i'd get my feelings hurt! we all miss you, too - so glad we can communicate or it'd be awful!!!!

ioTus said...

Indeed, the grapes may help us get through tough times :-D. I'll consume a few on this side in your honor.

Sure miss you man. Just watched a movie last night I think you may appreciate. A Francis Ford Coppola (writer, director, producer), called "Youth Without Youth". Takes place in Romania 1938+. About all sorts of interesting things, identity, love, war, age, time, place, spirit, objectivity / subjectivity, reincarnation, truth, dreams, reality, to name just a few things. When you get back we can watch it :-)

Anonymous said...

jefffffff....our vineyard IS amazing and so is your attitude. Way to keep the dream alive.

Mariko said...

Wow. Jeff, not that I ever thought of you as a little kid, but you totally are a man! What the heck?! I had no idea you were a poet. Are we going to see some poetry?

NordFux said...

Hi Jeff,
reading your Blogg makes me really jealous. The challenges make us carry on. I am back in Germany and still a little bit (culture) shocked. Growing up here in central Europe does not change my feeling being a stranger. Especially the people are different and far not that friendly.
I wouldn't mind to travel the world a little bit longer before picking a place to stay longer....
Well i guess I'll figure it out. Moldova is still on my list for next summer...
See you soon and good luck!
Sebastian