09 February 2010

Changes

Wow, it has been a very long time since I last posted here. The first semester of my final school year in Moldova has flown by, and I'm already well into the second. For the most part, my work at the school has leveled out to the point where I spend most of each class either observing, correcting essays, or helping students on a one-on-one basis. I have also spent a considerable amount of time developing a collection of English language tips for native Romanian speakers, which I am now beginning to make available online (link to come soon).

By the end of last Summer, I had effectively cleared the hurdle. The hurdle. All of my time since has been spent well and with the confidence that I am gaining a truly valuable experience. I have come to accept certain truths about Moldova, as well as about the nature of Peace Corps in Moldova, and this acceptance has led to a much more satisfying experience for me. It's no longer about changing the world (or Moldova); opening one pair of eyes at a time is just as good. Success can be as seemingly trivial as finally convincing one high school student that allowing their friend to copy off of their paper is ultimately going to hurt both of them.

Much of what was unclear for me, as of the writing of my last post on this blog, has become much more clear. I have been honored to spend my time with a remarkable Moldovan woman who never ceases to amaze me, and I have never been more satisfied in a relationship. I have set my sights on a couple MBA programs, taken the GMAT, and have an interview with my first pick school (Bentley University, near Boston, MA) in a couple days. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks to all of you who have made efforts to keep in touch with me during my service in Moldova. It makes a huge difference to me to receive little messages from home from time to time, even if it's just a little thumbs up on Facebook.

Sper să ne mai vedem pe curând.

6 comments:

Deborah said...

I was wondering if I was EVER going to see another post on your blog - teehee! I'm happy your second year in Moldova has been good in so many ways :)

Jessie said...

good luck with your interview. if your speaking skills are as eloquent as your writing skills, i am sure you will do wonderfully. :)

Unknown said...

Shame on you for neglecting your blog.

Thanks for the update and good luck with your interview. :)

e. corcoran said...

good luck with bentley admissions. my friend currently is in graduate school there as well...i love boston! if i visit her, i visit you.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Jeff...we're so lucky to have you here. JG

janderson said...

Glad to read the update! I am glad that the experience is positive and wish you best of luck with all that is before you. -Johannes