16 June 2008

Adjustments

It is my firm belief that airplanes move much faster than humans were ever meant to travel. I once heard a story about an explorer in Africa who was delayed because his local guides and porters refused to go any farther, as they had traveled so far in so little time that their souls had fallen behind and needed time to catch up. In this story, these humans only walked; I have taken a plane at over 500 miles per hour. Jet-lag is the body waiting for the soul to catch up.

I have been in Moldova for about a week, now, and perhaps my soul will catch up, soon. My internet connectivity is excellent, and I am limited in its use only by my lack of a desire to use it. The family with which I stay is absolutely wonderful, and I feel lucky to have been matched with such great people. Moldova is a country of great beauty and jovial people. Each day I am here is another excellent day, even if my stomach and aching head have yet to completely adjust.

The Moldovan language has been a pleasure to learn, thus far. Although my lingual skills are yet only rudimentary, the process of exploring and grasping this new language is among my favorite experiences in Moldova. My tongue would complain of certain acrobatic challenges, but my mind is utterly enthralled. Perhaps when next I speak with my friends and family, I will be unable to revert from the accent I now gladly possess. One can only hope...

I will soon post pictures of my arrival and my initial forays, so keep an eye out for updates. Ask questions, or send me an email. I would love to hear from everybody.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Use the internet more often and tell us your stories. I miss your prose!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

I just caught up with your soul! It's good to hear from you. Thanks for including me on your blog. I miss our philosophy talks at the Visitor Center. I'll be keeping track of you, so enjoy your experiences.

jas

Jeff Zundel said...

Oh, I'll be trying to post as much as possible. I'm glad to see that people are stopping in and reading! Thanks, and I miss you all!!