21 June 2008

Life is good

Moldova is a wonderful country. I had little involvement in the decision to come here for Peace Corps, as opposed to some other part of the world, but I sincerely appreciate the opportunity I have been given. I am prohibited from publishing my exact location, explicitly or implicitly, which is a shame, because I would love to share with you all the minute details of my current situation. Perhaps in ten weeks I can tell you, but for now, let me just say this...

There is life everywhere. I have only been in this country for a short while, but I feel energized and enriched by the amount of vibrant vivicy that seems to leap out of every nook and cranny of this place. My daily wanderings take me through docile neighborhoods, across fields of wine-grapes, through placid cemetaries that might easily be parks, past impressive basiricas (churches), and among chirping and cooing animals of every variety. Indeed, this is to say that I pass through the life of Moldova in the Spring.

I have experienced the brilliant sunshine of this place, as well as the torrential downpour. And all of this is paralleled by the welcome I have received from my host family and the people of my town. Of course, most are weary of me, as a stranger and as an American. Moldova was once a part of the Soviet Union, and I have been told that many Moldovans may initially suspect Peace Corps volunteers as spies. Usually a jovial smile and a "buna ziua!" to match bring a smile to fellow pedestrians' faces, and I appreciate the amusement in their eyes. I think I know what I just said... I know I don't know what they just said...

Language classes progress rapidly, and I am daily becoming more comfortable with my Romanian. I must acquire this language rapidly if I am to learn Russian, like the two of my colleagues already being so instructed. My goal is to be fluent in Romanian and proficient in Russian before my departure, and I know this will be difficult.

First things first: get over the jet-lag and culture shock. Check, and check. Well, culture shock is a work in progress, but I feel comfortable with most of my daily lifestyle, thus far. I am a bit disappointed at the lack of interconnectivity with the folks back home, but such is life. We are all busy living. It is a strange feeling, to be half a world away from both the people you love and the people you greet each day. I am sure that, once I am settled, I will have more time and energy to commit to my family and friends back home, but for now I shall rest in my homesickness. I hope you are all doing well.

Bine, until next time...

La revedere!

2 comments:

NordFux said...

Hi Jeff,
I am glad to hear everything is working well for you. To be honest I am a little bit jealous... such an opportunity to explore and live in a country so different to ours is a great chance and an awesome challenge. I hope it will be possible to visit you over there. It is not that far from Germany.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, feelings and experiences with us.
Sebastian

Jeff Zundel said...

Oh, I'm totally hitting Germany at some point before I return to the "states".