30 January 2009

A long overdue review (Part II)

This second part of the long overdue review is, itself, delayed. This week was busier than expected, which didn't couple well with my general laziness. I did, however, manage to drink lots of tea and read Borges's The Garden of Forking Paths for the millionth time. It never really gets old.

I left off at the end of a vacation to Romania. Getting back into Moldova was a trial that I hope not to repeat. Our driver had agreed to pick us up at our hotel in Iaşi around 10:00 am. By the time he finally arrived at 6:00pm, my travel colleagues and I had considered all our options, including walking across the border (which, as it turns out, isn't allowed), and had settled on just staying in Iaşi for the night and returning to Moldova a day late and a few bucks shorter. Our spirits weren't lifted, though, until we reached the border and discovered that we once again had cell phone reception. And by "our spirits" I guess I really mean "my spirits," as the entire duration of my time in Romania had involved a complete lack of communication with Moldova -- in my case, specifically, with a certain girlfriend. Arriving at the border was thus a happy occasion for me, despite the sudden shift in pavement quality. Suffice it to say that I spent the majority of what remained of the vacation with said female friend.

I'd like to continue writing about what I did, but I think perhaps the moment has passed. Instead, I'm going to take a tea break, maybe investigate why the power keeps shutting off, and then return here to write something interesting and more closely related to the present.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Thanks for the recap. Can't wait for the present update!